Monday 25 May 2009

The trip to Mississauga

The trip down to Mississauga was just like the rest of the trips really. I kept an eye open for that little black bear but he must of been on a tea break instead of entertaining the truck drivers lol.


On this trip I saw plenty of Moose. I took some pics of a pair eating grass at the side of the road but when I saw them and hit the brakes it spooked them and the pics were rubbish all I got was a pic of their butts as they ran into the trees lol.


When I got past New Liskeard in Ontario I saw for the very first time a male moose with the big horns or antlers (whatever you call them will someone please let me know what there called thanks lol).


We send in our daily macros to let H&R know what time we will be at our drops and I sent mine in hoping I would get rid of my trailer instead of delivering the load but no such luck this time around when my dispatcher told me to deliver it I had plenty of time so I slowed down.


There are 2 things I like doing one is driving and the other is looking around shops because I had plenty of time I have always wanted to look around a large shopping mall in North Bay Ontario so I pulled in and spent the next 2 hours just walking around the shops I did a bit of shopping in Wal-Mart. I went into the dollar store.... how come I only go in for one thing and come out with about $10 worth of crap lol.


A good friend told me I spend to much money on food but I don't like washing up (ask the wife lol). He said to get disposable plates, bowls and cutlery, why didn't I think of that!! I had a Lasagna last night that cost me $1.95 and it was bloody lovely I just nuked it in the microwave for 7 minutes and it filled me up so no more $15 meals from the truck stops.


I got down to my delivery point just after 5pm and backed on the bay it was not tipping until 9am Monday so I pulled the curtains and watched NCIS until I fell asleep. I was woken up the next day at 6 am all tipped. I sent in my empty trailer macro and in about a minute I got a another load so had to bob tail to Kitchener Ontario they are behind with loading so no probs. There is a very large shopping mall just up the road lol I am sat outside Best Buys using their wi-fi and after I have up dated my blog I am going to look around some more shops!


The sun is out and its very hot, I've got my air con on its ok until you get out of the truck lol.


When me and Dee looked into coming to Canada the only thing we could think of that would put Dee off was the cold weather and loads of snow (she don't do cold) well the most amazing thing about this last winter in my eyes was that Canada hardly had snow don't forget I have been running from Calgary to Montreal for the last 4 months and got held up once in the bad weather and that was a Day&Ross driver losing it on a bend. When I spoke to people in Lethbridge about the snow they said it was the most snow they have had in 18 years well bloody hell there wasn't that much.
I thought Canada was snowing from late October until the end of May but its not (maybe it is in some places) so I keep telling Dee there is nothing to worry about. Dee Cassie Jenny and the ol' bat sorry I meant Jean my mother-in-law (lol) are coming over in August for a week to have a look around Lethbridge to see for themselves what a nice place it is. I am going to take them to this place a driver told me about where we can see the wildlife up close.

2 comments:

briandoh said...

Hi Mike

its nice to read between the lines that u seem to have settled back down to things since ur trip back to Blighty
It must be hell having to leave ur family behind and go back to work for months at a time but i guess ill have to get used to it again (used to do the same round Europe years ago) as ill have the same problem soon hopefully

take care and stay safe m8

Brian

englishmike said...

Hi Brian its very hard to kiss my wife and say goodbye but in the long run it will be well worth it some days when your out on your own its easy but there are times when you drive along at night and you look at a house and you see the family in side sitting down at the table for there evening meal then you start to think of your own family 4,500 miles away which can be upsetting then you start to ask yourself what you are doing to yourself and family but it will be worth it in the long run mike