Saturday 9 May 2009

Back to work

The one thing all the drivers hate who work for H&R is taking our stuff out of the trucks and leaving them to be used by a dirty truck driver. I made sure mine was clean and tidy for the next driver to use for 2 weeks until I got back. I did leave my carpet and a few things inside like my printer and 2 of my surround sound speakers. I had thought to myself I should of taken out my carpet but couldn't be bothered as its a bit of a work up to do and was wondering what the state of the truck would be like when I got back.


My truck was left in the Calgary yard so I called in on the way from the airport to put all my stuff back in and I was very surprised when I opened my door the driver (a European driver)had left it really clean and tidy for me. He even left me a note saying sorry that he had bumped the front of the truck. It has a small crack on the hood which I am not going to get fixed, it can be done when they return it to Penski at the end of the 3 year contract which is the end of this year. To fix it they will have to have it in the workshop for a week or 2 and I would have to drive another one.... no thanks.


I hear so many drivers moaning about their trucks breaking down but I have had 3165 since last October and mine has never broken down. I keep a close eye on it and get any small job fixed when I get back to Lethbridge or fix it myself. I never let all the small jobs mount up, that's when you get problems and at the end of the day if the wheels aren't rollin then you don't get paid.


I had an airline split on me at North Bay as I was parking up for the night so I sent a macro telling the night shift I needed someone to come and fix it then I went to bed at 5am I got a reply from the night shift asking if I could wait until later to get it fixed. That really pissed me off. I was so angry I got out of bed got my tool box out and had a look at it myself, lucky it was right by the coupling I opened it up and fixed it myself good job I had my own tools otherwise I would of been waiting for a few more hours to get it sorted!


This is the one thing I do hate about H&R if you brake down you send in a macro but then you get told to ring Penski yourself (I don't have a phone) why does a driver have to sort it out. There is a guy in the office for that but instead of him ringing them the driver has to do it so why waste time in sending in a macro we might as well ring them direct then H&R can save money by getting rid of the guy in the office lol. This is the only company I've known in 21 years of driving that the driver has to sort out getting the truck fixed, that is why I keep a close eye on any repairs!


I spoke to my Dispatcher (Wayne) who sorted me a job to go to Montreal and for me to drive my car to Lethbridge and he will sort out a lift for me to go back to Calgary to pick up my truck and then over to Highriver to pick up my trailer. If I have to wait for my trailer at least I've got plenty of time to sort out the truck.


I got down to Lethbridge at 7pm and booked in to the Lethbridge lodge for the night I had a shower then went to bed I was knackered and I had a good sleep. I've just got up so I thought I would update the blog and then get breakfast. Then i'm off to H&R to get a lift back to Calgary.

No comments: