Tuesday 17 February 2009

Wow not much work

I have been back a week now I sat around for 2 days without a job. Then I was told if I took a trailer to Calgary ($56) they had a job there waiting for me. When I got to Calgary there was no such job which made me really angry so I waited and was offered to go and sit at High River all day and then take a trailer to Lethbridge for another $56...... That's when I lost it big time and gave 2 weeks notice! I have been moved from one fleet to another which made me happier.

I don't know what I want to do. I love it over here but I hate sitting around doing nothing and not getting paid its not like the UK, there you get your minimum wage but over here you get nothing. A mate of mine has been offered a job with a company called Challenger and they get a guaranteed minimum of $800 even if there is no work.....gotta be a catch somewhere! It seems all the transport companies are in the same boat this time of the year it's slow for everyone. I am just glad I am not supporting my family because last week I earned $436 when you take out the tax it leaves you with $300 for a weeks work after I took out my hotel room for 2 nights and food for the rest of the week it leaves me with nothing!!!

So far this week I have earned $238 and its Tuesday today I sent a message in this morning and told there is nothing so far so it will be another day sitting about earning nothing oh well this is what you call taking the rough with the smooth if I had my visa to go into America it might have been a different story.

Don't get me wrong I have not fallen out of love with working for H&R they have been very good to me, and now I am working for a different fleet it might make the job easier for me and when I get my visa it should be much better. So I am going to stop feeling sorry for myself (lol) and just join the rest of the big queue of drivers looking for work!!

3 comments:

Baldy said...

Hi Mike

Sorry to hear things are not to great for you at the mo.

Things will pick up for you soon I am sure.

Good Luck

Ian (Cargill Shunt)

P.S Baby due in 3 weeks

englishmike said...

Hi Ian
I lost your number mate can you send me it via e-mail say hello to Ally for me and when the babys born let me know so I can pop round to see you all and park the truck outside lol mike

Anonymous said...

dont fret about the lack of work,,, re-read your LMO mate all will work out at year end