Tuesday 17 February 2009

My trip from Calgary to Vancouver

Saturday morning I picked up my loaded trailer at 6am and drove round to the Husky truck stop to fuel up. I left Calgary about 6.45am as I got going the train lights ahead started to flash so I had to wait for the train to go by (I think it was the worlds longest train or it seemed it) I lost about 15 minutes but I was still happy because I had a job. The drive through the Rockies was very enjoyable the load I had on was only 26,000 lbs so was not to bad a drive. There was the odd few muppet car drivers who risk everything to get by you then slow down so it slows you down then they speed up every time you get the chance to pass them.

The roads were clear no snow or ice the sun was out the views were out of this world and the lakes that were frozen are starting to thaw out now and we are still in the middle of winter. As I was driving along I was just looking around at all the houses and animals and thought what a great country this is and how much my family would love it here ( so I with drew my notice)!! I stopped at the McDonald's in Golden for some breakfast (that's where me and Dee stopped a couple of times). Then I drove for a few more hours until I got to the Husky at Sicamours BC there I stopped to use the rest room (no more soft shoulders for me lol) and spoke to a nice lady that works there we chatted for a while then I carried on with my journey to Vancouver the weather is not what I expected I was wearing a t-shirt I had no heating on in the cab and the drivers window open it was really sunny not a cloud in the sky. The roads had more traffic on than the last time I went this way but nothing to worry about and no traffic jams. The last time I came this way I had Dee with me and it was dark so when I was going down the mountains I was very careful. This time it was light so I had a much better view of the road in front of me and was able to go down them much easier and faster with full control of the truck. Like everything you do the first time you are miles too careful which can cause other drivers problems after a couple more times over that way then I will be able to go down the mountains as quick as the other drivers!

I stopped at another Husky truck stop at a place called Hope BC. When I ordered my meal I got chatting to the lady there and she told me her mum and dad moved from England many years ago and that her dad was from Torquay I told her I used to live near Torquay so she couldn't wait to tell her dad that she was speaking to a guy that lived near him! Will find out next time I go there what he said. I ate my meal and drove all the way to my drop in a place called Burnaby BC (Vancouver) when I got there the guy on the gate told me to drop my trailer and get an empty to drop at the H&R's Delta yard.

When I got to the petrol station right by the yard there was 8 H&R trucks parked there so I knew it was not going to be good news when I spoke to dispatch. They told me they had nothing until Monday I was told to pick up a loaded trailer right by the yard and take it to Calgary. I pulled into the petrol station parked up and met up with a guy who I knew called Phil (hello love lol) We had a long chat, he told me the lack of work this time of the year is normal so I had to take the rough with the smooth then we was both given the details for our jobs but my trailer was not ready until Monday. A lady trucker called Martha came over and we spent about an hour chatting and telling jokes lol hey Phil I have used that joke you told me about the fresh ice you should have seen the look on the Lady's face lololol.

It turns out me and Martha are picking up from the same place and both going to Calgary so we stayed at the petrol station until Monday morning then went and got our trailers both not ready (now there's a surprise) from the time I got my pre plan to the trailer being ready it was 24 hours of waiting around.

When we got going we went to a place called Chilliwack to fuel up have a shower and breakfast then on our merry way. Its nice when you are running with someone you can chat on the CB the whole trip and keep each other awake lol and it makes the drive less boring we made our way to Sicamours BC when we got to the coquihalla mountain now coming from Kamloops this is a very steep down hill and so many drivers have lost there brakes and crashed and today there were 2 trucks that had crashed one on its side and the other in the middle of the ditch. I took a couple of pics so you can see for yourself what happens if you don't take care.
We stopped at the Husky for our late meal the lady who I had been chatting to on the way down was now serving meals she brought over a glass of water with ice in it and I asked her if it was fresh ice because I don't like that frozen stuff you get lololol you should of seen her face (thanks Phil). After our meal it was just a long drive to Calgary yard where we dropped our trailers. I followed Martha to the truck stop, turned out of the yard then left at lights and found a train shunting trailers about in the train yard we had to wait 40 mins we were not happy! When we got to the truck stop there was no room at the RoadKing so we parked at the Esso for the night I was so far out of it I don't remember taking my socks off I think at that stage I must of been sleep walking lol. Woke up this morning and turned on my truck so my qualcom comes on and no job so I sent in a message and guess what (yep no job) Martha came over and asked if I have had breakfast which I hadn't (on the way to Calgary we were chatting about birthdays and I told her its mine on Friday 20th feb) so when the bill came she grabbed it and said she was buying for my birthday..... thanks Martha.

I am sat in my truck updating my blog and the qualcom has just beeped 6 times wow got a job over to Ontario with 4 stops so should keep me happy for a few days and out of trouble lol so I have just got to fill out all of my envelopes and drop them into the Calgary office otherwise I won't get paid.

2 comments:

BOB said...

hi mike just to say happey birthday on friday the same day as me so you will be trucking over there as will be in holland will just loading in a ice floor for a show then back to den haag nr rotterdam will HAPPEY BIRTHDAY for friday mate ...keep it sunny side up ..bob (aka) bosshog on his travels .

englishmike said...

Hi Bob happy birthday mate another year closer to the grave lol mike