Sunday 8 February 2009

Crap on the internet

There is so much crap on the web sites about drivers doing this and that... you are free to do what YOU want. No-one puts a ball and chain on your foot when you get here, you are asked if you can do the job if not don't do it. Some of the stories you read on drivers blogs are only a small fraction of the work force.

When I made up my mind to go and work for H&R I looked at the facts not the made up second hand stories you read on the web and thank god I didn't take notice of the stories. How many times have you read.....'this is what this driver said' what about the other 450 drivers you don't hear from!

Loads of comments I have read on the web about when a driver! gets his PNP then he can leave and do what he wants which is very true.

So if the bad stories you read about H&R are true why are there well over 100 drivers who have PNP status still working for H&R?

Just before I came over to the UK for my month off I spoke to a German driver who has been with H&R for 26 years we had a chat about the turn over of drivers and he said its because of the changes a driver has to do and some can't hack it. I for one found it hard to adapt to the Canadian way but I stayed and I am still learning, its not hard but when you have been used to driving a certain way for 20 years then it will take a bit of time to change but it will be worth it in the end.

All I can say to drivers thinking about driving in Canada is take the stories with a pinch of salt because most of the stories are second hand and we all know how a story changes by the time it gets to the end of the line and you only ever get one side of it anyway!

This bit I am going to tell you now is FACT. A driver who I knew in Southampton went to H&R 3 months before me all e-mails I got from him was moans about not getting what he wanted he didn't want to drive and be stuck in the truck he took his wife and 2 dogs with him the wife couldn't hack it in the truck so she got a place and the driver wanted to be home at the weekends and kept turning the jobs down that would keep him away from home he told the guys where he worked (in Southampton) all he was doing was California and back every week the married guys who do them runs have been with H&R for many years so he had to wait his turn but he couldn't and was in the office all the time asking why he couldn't have the good run.
When I met up with him he did nothing but moan about not getting the money and it turned out I earned $1000 more than him but I had been there less than 3 months. So if he put his bit on the internet telling new guys that he had only earned $19,000 in 6 months I guarantee he wouldn't tell you the reason why he didn't get the money so you only get one side of the story!

If you and your wife are not 100% in wanting this new life in Canada and If you want to chuck the towel in because you have read a story before you get there then forget it because the chances are you will want to go back to what you know in the UK.

There have been time's when I thought I couldn't hack this and do I need the hassle, but i'm still sticking with it and looking forward to going back (other than missing my family).

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi,
my name is Joe, I came in this web site through Javi's Website. I read your comment and I think you should cancel this post because people are not going to like what you have to say. I've been in this business for over 25 years, the 2008 H&R has over 458 DOT checks, this is for something, not because the DOT wants to see your face.
If H&R goes to Europe to get drivers it must be for a reason, not because there aren't drivers in Canada. At this moment I don't work as a truck driver because of the job's conditions, maybe it's very good for you but not for the Canadian drivers. In late 1990's I used to work at 0.38$ a mile, this is over 10 years ago, now H&R pays 0.42$ per mile and they give you an average of 1200 miles per ride, this is 2400 miles 5-6 days ride. Now you tell me you can make money? Maybe, because you live in your truck day and night. I have a house and mortgage to pay, so don't come here and say how the business is, some of these drivers that come and go to California and get 2200 miles ride are because they give a commission to the dispatcher, This is a well known practice by some drivers and owner operators and no one says a word, everyone shuts their mouths and nobody blows the whistle. The rest, my friend, is bull shit. Have you asked people that worked with H&R over 10-15 years ago when they get caught doing Interstate? You probably don't recall when they had license plates of Utah, doing so they passed unnoticed doing interstate.
I used own reefers and would go to Laredo, Texas, I met a lot of H&R drivers and that was in the early 90's, man nobody liked it, you would hear a bunch of stories about them. The average drivers in one company are about 9 months, after that they are fed up, so, another advertising in Europe, other drivers come. In Canada you do what other immigrants do in England and you and many other drivers criticize that, that is WRONG, you have to do like the Canadians, same job, same pay. I'm very sorry if I come out as being rude but this is the reality in the Canadian Trucking business, the transport rates have become higher and the salary for truck drives and owner operators are the same as 10 years ago.

Regards,

Joe, aka Joze.

PS:I used to work in the 90's for Que-West (today known as Trans-West) and Lanstar Inway. I used to have 2 trucks and then I partnered with someone else and I wound up with 7 trucks, all reefers.

englishmike said...

Hi Joe why should I remove it I am only saying what is going on now not 10 years ago and whats so wrong with saying it from my point of view.Can you tell me where I have criticized all I have ever said about Canada and the Canadian people is nice things.If you don't like reading what I put on my blog then please don't read it again mike

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting,
what bothers me and to many professional Canadian drivers is that we can't get 0.50$/mile and more because they're going to hire overseas drivers and us Canadian drivers have to go to local and low-paid jobs on the highway. To make this fair a highway driver has to get no less than 0.55$/mile and then i can assure you many "retired drivers" go back on the road.
When I was on the road I used to go to CA and it was 3000 back and 3000 forth for a total of more than 6000 in 12-14 days and legally (sometimes I cheated). You can come and tell me to get lost, I know you never said that Canadians are bad people, that is your own point of view and it doesn't reflect the transport industry. People read between lines and it's the message you are sending. The trucking industry in Canada is rotten because you don't own a truck in this country and don't know what it is to be an Owner operator.
Now if you don't like it just go back, the fact of the matter is that you can go but I have to stay and not compete with your salary. At this moment it's better to work as a driver than to invest in a truck. this is why Canadian drivers don't want to work for the low pay. I used to work in the city doing delivery and made 52000$/year (gross), now I'm semi-retired but I hope to be back on the road as soon as the prices go higher.

thank you for understanding the truck industry in Canada and thank you for everything you do for the Canadian companies.

If you don't do what H&R asks you to do you they will no longer need your services and will be rapidly replaced.

thank you and have a nice day.

Joe

englishmike said...

Hi Joe
Once again you have read between the the lines Where did I say on my blog I didn't like it NO where I love it in Canada and how do you know if I have ever been an owner operator. I came to Canada to see if its where I want to live you and anyone else are not going to tell me where or what I can do with my blog or my life forget it buddy

Tony T said...

Hi Mike,
Good post & Honest in what you say from what i can see.
I have some friends working for H&R they started in Dec08 & from what i'm aware they are loving it over there.
My brother is over there & works out of a small town in Ontario near Toronto (Truck Driving) he loves it but has just come up against an Issue with regards to Residency about having $12,000 in the back ??? some thing to do with the Ontario Provence we think.
Like you said about the crap we read, its the same where ever you go evan in the UK, i work for The Stobart Group, some people i spoke to before i joined them in June 08 said they never liked working there because of all the paper work they had to do etc etc, to me its the easiest job i've done since starting work in 1980, i love what i do now and should have done this years ago and enjoy the work that i get with Stobarts.

Bye for now Tony T

englishmike said...

Hi Thanks Tony do you still get truck spotters waving at you from roundabouts lol Mike

Tony T said...

Hi Mike, yes we do and off of bridges etc, i even had some one come upto me the other saturday while just finishing my break at the new Wetherby Moto Services on the A1(M) she wanted a photo of me and herself in front of the truck, u just made me think i need to post the snaps they took, cheers.
All the best Mike and have a good journey back to Lthbridge,

Tony T

irishtrucker said...

Hiya Mike, I enjoy reading your blog, I like the way you have given YOUR opinion, and said things as you have seen them,It is unfortunate that some people seem to be dissappointed that you are happy in your work, enjoy yourself, keep her between the ditchs, and I might see you over there soon!!!..

andy said...

hi mike.its andy.im hoping too see you in a few weeks.
i would just like to say,why doesnt mr anonymous put his name to the post.
anyway.i think its the same were ever you live.i worked for asda and i thought that was the easiest job on the planet,and believe it or not,some drivers were still moaning,maybe it was because they had to do over 6 hours work.