Saturday 21 February 2009

What a muck up

I picked up my trailer from Calgary and had to go to High River to finish off loading. I spent 36 hours waiting at High River then when my load was ready I left just gone 4am. I got to Swift Current in Saskatchewan and stopped for my break. I spoke on the phone about all the time spent waiting for my load and to say I was unhappy with the result was an understatement (more to follow will find out Monday about getting paid or NOT). After my chat on the phone I went back to my truck and filled the water bottle with windscreen wash then got into my truck and saw I had a message. I hit the roof, they wanted me to swap my trailer (that I had been sat around for 2 days waiting for the job and 36 hours at the plant) at Nipigon with another driver. I thought about jumping up and down but in the past it has got me no where so I went in and rang the bloke who I had just spoke to on the phone when I said hi its me he burst out laughing and said he was looking at the clock to see how long it would take me to ring (nice to know people are laughing at my expense) I told him I was passed caring but he told me the new plan and IF it all goes to plan (yer right)then I will be much better off money wise only time will tell.

On the way across Canada there were 2 trucks on their sides (as normal I had camera at haand) it was not a very nice sight my first thoughts are always to the family's of the drivers. I know only to well how upsetting it is for the ones at home who get the phone calls.

I came over to Canada to find the best place to live for me and my family. In Alberta the weather is very mild I have been walking around with a t-shirt on but when I got to Swift Current I open my drivers door and boy was I in for a shock .I didn't hang about in closing the door lol. It was so cold I got my big coat out and walked over to the restaurant with my hood up and when I got to Regina to fuel up I was going to fill up the tank on the trailer but no chance it was even colder there. So I have found the place for us to live.... somewhere in Alberta LOL.

I got to the Husky truck stop at Nipigon and waited about 30 mins for the driver to turn up after we had a chat it turns out he does 3 trailer swaps a week and he knew my trailer number before I left High River (mushrooms in the dark springs to mind) Oh well never mind what goes around comes around. I am on my way back to do a drop in Winnipeg and another in Saskatoon then up to Edmonton then pick up another trailer to Toronto I wouldn't mind swapping at Nipigon again. I am parked in a petrol station for the night this part of Canada there are very few places to park. I got here first and now there are 12 trucks here and no more room, hope the owner don't mind lol and free internet! There's a cafe here so its a case of rolling out of my bed and in for breaky in the morning with a nice cup of Canadian coffee. I was not a hot drinks person before I came to Canada but I do like the coffee here and even better you get as many FREE refills as you can handle (stay of the soft shoulders though lol). Just got to sort out my paper work ready for my drive up to Winnipeg its only about 600 miles from here and the place I am going to is open 24/7 so at least I might get that one off and hopefully meet up with George (The Big Trip) lets just hope he is not out visiting tyre fitters lolololol.

2 comments:

terrence.nash said...

hi mike how been keeping see you back hard at it work i mean lol have a nice birthday where ever you may be lots of love from terry and sherie and connor and willow

you can email me back on

terrence.nash@btinternet.com

Goodwin said...

Hi Mike, so are yo going to let us know were this nice little cafe with FREE Internet is? LOL I too have just come back from the East dropped LT in Edmonton & waiting now until tom for load to LB, have fun if you can Buddy. Graeme