Tuesday 14 April 2009

Dispatchers

I have spoken to many American and Canadian drivers and they told me what makes the job good is your dispatch person, if you got a good one then the job is easy but if you are unlucky to get a bad one then the job is a lot harder!

My first dispatch guy worked me well but we never got on, there were to many 'funny' comments from him and it made the job hard, there was no help from him when you needed it. So when I got back from my holiday they changed my dispatcher after a row and that one didn’t want to reply to my messages and my god was that ever frustrating. I started to look at other companies to work for. I was offered a couple of jobs but I really like it here and I am getting used to some of their dumb ass ways now (lol).

I didn’t want to move so I spoke to the guy in charge and told him my problems. There is a dispatch guy who always came over when he was not busy and said hi and always had time for me even tho I was not one of his drivers. I asked if I could move to him but was told no because he was full and very busy so I had to carry on with this other person....the one who doesn’t reply to messages.
Well to cut a long story short I ended up with this decent dispatcher and my arse has not stopped since lol. I get my new job at least a 1-2 days before hand and when I send in a macro I get a reply, so simple but makes a massive difference to the job.
This guy is one of the best blokes I have worked for in 21 years of driving, I made a comment one day at the window about when I am able to drive in America there are a few states I would like to add to my list. He got up from his desk as he passed his wife’s desk he got her map book and asked me which ones I need to visit. We spent about 10 minutes talking and he said he can help me out on some of them, he didn't need to do that.... real nice bloke, his wife's nice too, both ex-drivers which makes a world of difference.
Now I'm happy. I've got a nice truck/job/dispatcher......just watch someone come and muck it up lol!


In life there is not much you can get for free but a smile or simple hello doesn’t cost anything its only manners after all, just a shame a couple of the dispatchers don’t understand that!!
Dispatchers are the one thing all drivers obviously talk about, every driver has a moan about their's but I have never heard a driver moan about fleet 4 dispatcher, everyone who works for him is happy, says a lot don't it!

1 comment:

mickfly said...

Surprised you didn't get the wanker ...Andy (fleet 3), who left me in the lurch FOUR times and went home!