Tuesday 14 April 2009

Back to work and another sunny day

After I got my new laptop I was told to bob-tail to Highriver my load was ready and waiting (which was a first lol) it was a swap at Nipigon Ontario.


I picked up the trailer and started to do my checks when I spotted 2 tyres that looked a bit like Kojak's head I am getting like my mate George a bit fed up because drivers are not doing their jobs. There was a side marker light smashed as well and the top lights had a loose connection, as I slid the axles forward the bold bits were at the bottom so I drove down to Lethbridge and stayed there the night. The next day was Good Friday but Arden came in and put on 2 new tyres and new marker light and sorted the loose connection.


Nothing ever gets said about the guys in the workshop but what a great bunch of lads they are,(Arden Jerold Ron Martin & Bill). If you need anything and you ask them decent enough they will do all they can to help. In all the years I have been driving I've always got on well with the guys in the workshop because you never know when you might need 'em lol.
I always pop in and chat to Ron, he helped me out over the idle ban and at the end of the day your not moving your not earning.

Arden sorted the trailer out for me then I was off on my way to Nipigon Ontario I drove all day to Headingley 12.5 hours what a drive 736 miles no hold ups it was bank holiday Friday but the roads were empty I stopped at Swift Current Saskatchewan for fuel then for my break then drove to Headingley non stop and parked there the night.


The next day I woke up a good hour before my start time so I went in and had the breakfast special and loads of coffees then time to fuel up I only had 514 miles to drive to swap trailers at Nipigon but once you leave Manitoba the road is very rough and single track and because it was bank holiday the cops were hiding every where so it was 95 kms maxium your only allowed to do 90kms but the cops leave the trucks alone if you are under 100kms but I didn't want to take any chances. I got a couple of waves from the cops when I went by them they're only doing there jobs but god help you if you speed in a small town!


The views you see over here are awesome. I have seen hundreds of baby deer (so I now know how deers keep warm in the winter lol). The lakes are melting and the weather is beautiful.
The funny thing is when I chat to some of my friends who are driving in America they are always telling me of the bad weather they have been caught in and yet I have only been delayed once in Canada due to bad weather. As I am writing this I am sat in Montreal Quebec its so hot outside I have just looked at my tempeture gauge and it shows its 52f, I am wondering if i should put on my shorts lol.


Well I done my swap at Nipigon and just started heading east when the qualcom beeps 'can I make Montreal for 8am Tuesday' yep so its another trailer change at the Esso truck stop at Pass Lake then a long drive all the way to North Bay, another 694 miles. I already fuelled up at Nipigon so I just stopped for 5 minutes at Longlac for my subway sandwich then I drove non stop to North Bay.

At Hearst an H&R owner driver pulled out in front of me and he shouted me on the CB so we chatted all the way to North Bay it makes the job go by so much faster when you are chatting. Good job too because I was well past my bed time and if he was not there with me I would of stopped as I just wanted my bed.


The reason I drove all the way to North Bay was to give me an easy day the next day and it was. One of the good things working for H&R is if you want to stop you can whenever you want to as long as the load gets to the delivery point on time.


Now I have done my delivery in Montreal I am just waiting for a trailer to take back to Calgary or Lethbridge. I'm sat outside McDonalds using their internet for free lol. I will be more than happy if there is nothing to go back today as there are loads of shops and I can have a slow walk around them....need a new laptop bag.

No comments: