Saturday 18 July 2009

Running with TJ from Ice Road Truckers






Its been a dream of mine for 30 years to drive a truck in America but I could never get in. A friend of mine Ian from Smarts transport told me about H&R, at first it didn't mean anything until I saw a TV program called Ice Road Truckers and I really enjoyed watching it. that program made my mind up for me so I rang H&R and well you know what happened next.


The program itself is a big favourite of mine and a few weeks back when me Martin and Val were at Winnipeg we bumped into one of the stars of the show TJ. We had a chat and he seemed a really nice guy but because he gets loads of people coming up to him and saying hi I thought he would soon forget us... how wrong was I.


I picked up my load from the Brampton yard and headed towards Calgary I had to pull in for fuel at a place called New Liskeard. While I was washing my windscreen guess who came walking over to me yep it was TJ. Ee said hello and asked how I had been he said he kept looking for mine and Martins trucks because we have a union jack plate on the front (I know sad git lolol) this time I had my camera there so I took a pic of him stood in front of my truck (I know even sadder lol) we went in and had a bite to eat and he was going the same way as me so we ran together.


We stopped at Longlac for the night and the next day we drove up to Winnipeg. TJ went to the Flying J while I had a quick drop in Winnipeg. What a dumb arse.... no such thing as a quick tip they weren't even there so I drove round to the J we both went and had our showers then grabbed something to eat.


The next day I had to go and do my deliver. TJ said he would wait at the J for me I was told they would be there at 6am why was I so dumb to believe them so off I went at 5.30am only to find they don't come in until 8am! By the time I got tipped and heading back to the J it was gone 10am I thought TJ would of gone but nope he was sat there waiting for me (what a great guy) most other drivers would of long gone.


We went to the Husky to fuel up and grab a snack then headed west all the time we were chatting, I know this lad is only 24 but he is very mature for his age and we had a good chat and laugh over the 3 days running together he was going to Saskatoon and I was going to Calgary so we split at Regina. There is a trailer sat in Calgary waiting for me to go to Saskatoon so we arranged to meet in the Flying J. We are going to have a bbq by our trucks lol I just brought a gas bbq and some steak for tomorrow night, should be a laugh!


If there are any drivers who read this and are in Saskatoon tomorrow (Sunday) come over and say hi you wont miss us we will be the only idiots in the truck stop having a bbq lololol and if you see my truck smoking don't worry its not my tri-pac haha!

7 comments:

mickfly said...

Blimey, that belt buckle is nearly as big as the truck grill!
Good pics Mike,

Drive safe.

Ian Sayer said...

Hi Mick.

If you get achance again, could you ask TJ a couple of questions? We all all loved the the first series of IRT, and my daughter thinks he's "like, sooooooooo cute"

We heard he was off to get married, did this happen?

Did he ever return to the winter roads, or will he?

who does he work for now, and doing what?

He was the star of the first series, and impressed everyone I know with his attitude.

englishmike said...

HI Ian
Yes TJ did get married as for returning to the winter roads he told me he didn't know why but was not asked to be in S2 but was asked to be in S3 but he was miles to busy and hopefully he might be back on the Ice roads next time with his own truck. He will be looking at my blog this morning when he wakes up so hopefully he might reply as well he told me he has loads of pics from the ice road so I will be adding some when he sends them to me. He works for a Dutch company out of Ontario pulling a flat deck trailer he had a load of steal on for Saskatoon mike

Curt said...

Jesus H Christ !

LoL

Martin said...

Well mike, if TJ is looking in on your blog you can let him know my Mrs also thought he was cute!

I told her to behave and start acting her age (30 something!!) LOL.

Good to see it's all still going well for you.

M.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike.

Thats pretty cool, driving with a celebrity, hahaha. Finally found ur blog, so ill start reading and keep reading it. Have a lot of safe miles.

KP Steigstra

Unknown said...

Hey Mike.
I'm awake I'm awake, finally. HAHA it is hard work fighting the pillow. I was up at 11am EST and then had breakfast and back to bed at aroung 1:30pm EST and up at 6pm EST. Boy oh Boy I love my sleep. HAHA But you know we worked some long hours while coming up from New Liskeard. Oh well It was a pleasure running with you for three days and look forward to catching up again for another drive.

T.J Tilcox