Tuesday 7 July 2009

A funny trip to Nebraska

I took to much time getting back from California (Wolf it was your fault lol) so my next trip to Nebraska was foot down and a hard drive. There was a big muck up with border crossing I was told to go to the blue shed by my dispatch for meat inspection on a Monday they don't start until 4pm so I spent the morning shopping and sorting my truck out.


When I crossed the border and went to the blue shed I had to wait my turn then. I was informed I was at the wrong place so I drove around to see Tim at the other place. Lucky for me he was still there he was not happy as he informed H&R dispatch on Sunday my load was to go to him and he opened at 12pm and closed at 4pm, I got there 5.30pm he really is a nice guy and will do everything he can to make the driver happy its a shame the rest can't do the same! It pissed me off that someone in the office didn't tell me I could of been down the road about 5.5 hours as it was I had to run through the night I finished 1.30am I had to stop I nearly ran off the road twice!

When I got to Nebraska I spoke to the American dispatch who wanted me to carry on running at night I told him I can't drive at night I have been starting at 4am for 20 years come 8pm-9pm I am in bed I explained its not safe for me to drive at night I nearly dropped off while driving and he said we can't have that so switch back to days so I had a short day to get me back on track.


The next day I went into Beardstown to swap trailers I pulled up to security to tell them what I was there for I spoke to this young girl who stood 5ft tall but 6ft wide and boy did she have a chip on her shoulder! The way she spoke to me was a disgrace it should never be allowed I never said a word I just walked out dropped my trailer then went up to see this lady upstairs about a trailer wash and pallets she was nice, we chatted for a while I told her about the girl downstairs she laughed and said I was about the 5th driver today to say the same thing she told me to make a complaint to my company.


Don't get me wrong I still love driving a truck and I am earning not bad money but the way truck drivers get treated is a real eye opener! it really feels when you're out on the road what ever happens its the truck drivers fault. I left there to go to Cambridge Ontario but on route my fridge packed up I got it going again but it stopped again about an hour later so I rang on road repairs and told them I needed to take it to thermol king to get it looked at. He gave me the address I asked him if he could ring them and tell them I would be there at 5.30pm my time and 6.30pm there time when I got there they didn't even know I was coming (surprise surprise) so I had to wait in line to get it fixed I lost 3 hours getting the trailer fixed which now made my load late by 2 hours I sent my macro but I never heard a thing.


The next day when I got to Cambridge I was told to back on the door but 3 hours later still no joy I went in and asked what was wrong they told me basically I was being punished for being late and they would get to me when they felt like it that's great I used my time to get the trailer fixed and now I was getting punished for it now I can see why drivers don't go out there way to help.

When I was tipped I had to drive north to get my trailer washed out then come back south to Kitchener just around the corner from where I tipped to swap trailers now I have been to this place a few times so I knew where it was and the Lady's in the office are great very helpful always got time for a quick chat and the blond lady is very nice looking lololol.

It was about 5pm now and I didn't want to fight with the dumb car drivers so I left at 4am to get past Mississauga and made my way to Hearst Ontario because I am rolling my hours I worked it out on my computer I had to get to Hearst then Winnipeg then had only enough hours to get to Saskatoon it worked out when I went in the gate I had 5 minutes driving time left I dropped the trailer and drove in my time to the Husky truck stop where I sat and watched TV I was in bed by 6pm and asleep by about 6.01pm lol.

When I got up I went and had a shower and washed my clothes now I am just waiting here for my trailer which will be ready by 2pm lololololololololololol you think.

I have been reading a few things on the Internet about the new drivers contracts, they are going to pay them less, so what !!! you think its not going to bother me but it will it will affect all of us when there is a long driving job to Texas. Who will get the load... a driver on .42 cents a mile or a new guy on .40 a mile I have just looked at my map and the drive from Lethbridge to Laredo in Texas is 2071 miles give or take a couple of miles now do the math there is a difference of $41.42 times that by how many loads over a month a big saving which is very good for the company but no good for driver moral I have worked for a company who had a 2 tier pay scheme it just made drivers angry they soon got rid of it when drivers left.


I personally think every truck driver should get the same money after all we are all doing the same work the only difference with an experienced driver and a non experienced driver is the experienced driver knows how to get out of the shit faster. We are still learning every day so should a guy who has been driving for 40 years get more money than a guy who has only done 20 years nope I don't think so. Because of my blog I have chatted to loads of drivers and a few sent me e-mails telling me they are not bothering to come to H&R any-more.


Every day I wake up with a smile on my face because this was my dream to do this but the smile doesn't seem to last as long as it used too!! So many drivers I knew have left and a great deal of drivers who I have spoken to are looking else where. I admit I have looked else where but from what I have found out its the same shit just a different name on the door! I bumped into a driver yesterday who was so fed up I thought I hope I don't get like that then it will be time to just walk away.

No comments: