Tuesday 14 July 2009

My trip to Napoleon in Ohio

After shopping and sorting my truck out I headed to the border. When I got there there was one hell of a queue for cars but no trucks lol. I passed over my paper work then went around and parked up. The lady in agriculture had sorted my paper work out before I got there so it was a quick hi and goodbye then a quick trip to meat inspection and no one was there as well so a guy there came out and cut my seal off you have to do that yourself but because of my bad arm I can not use bolt cutters I must of been there all of 5 minutes then time to go.

I drove to Shelby Montana to fuel up and get a subway sandwich then I drove to Havre where there is a Wal-mart with truck parking places I had to go and buy a net10 card for my American Pay as you go phone (I was told these had gone bust but it still works fine).

In the truck parking lot was another H&R but I didn't bother seeing who it was but when I was walking back to my truck the driver got out and came over to me it was a Canadian driver who I have met before we had a quick chat and then we left together we spent the next 6 hours chatting on the CB. We stopped at Beach North Dakota to fuel up I was going to stop there but Dale told me there was a better truck stop with free Wi-Fi at Dickinson which was only about 40 miles away I had plenty of time left so we parked there for the night.

The next day I stopped at Fargo for more fuel and bumped into an H&R driver who wanted to know if I had a free shower I said no but just after he went and brought one I forgot I had 2 cards I went looking for him but could not find him I felt guilty all day long because I could of helped him out and didn't.

I wanted to get down as far as Black River Falls Wisconsin but there was a nasty crash in the day and there was on hell of a traffic jam so I called it a night in a rest area about 50 miles from there.

I then drove down to Chicago, my god don't they charge you lots on the toll roads! It cost me $59.50 good job I have always got money on me. I think its very poor from H&R for not telling me about the tolls, what if it had been a new guy or a driver who had no money everything at H&R is learn as you go. You would of thought at the bottom of the qual-com message they would of put something like there are loads of tolls on that road take plenty of money naaaaaaaaa that's too easy why make a drivers life easy lol!!

I got down to Napoleon Ohio at about 8pm and parked in a Pilot for the night. I had a nice shower then watched a couple of episodes of Criminal Minds then went to sleep. I was on the door step to my deliver so in the morning I drove across the road it was about an hours tip now I am sat in the TA truck stop updating my blog and just got a message on my qual-com telling me to make my way to Toronto. I asked them which border do they want me to cross and its been an hour now so I think they are still tyring to pull there thumb out of their arse!

3 comments:

Curt said...

Do you bring American dollars with you all the time Mike?
Do you just get an exchange done when you get stopped somewhere in advance?

englishmike said...

I just go to a hole in a wall to get money out when i need it i just happen to have money on me and it was a goof job to

Trkrjim said...

Getting arounf the toll roads is something that experience will teach you. Indiana and Ohio are very easy to bypass with little time or mileage lost. Illinois is not that bad either. I have worked for many cheap companies that would not pay them so I learned my way around.

From Rockford, IL take US20 east to the Elgin Ohare expressway to I290, that dumps you on I94. Toll free all the way to Indiana.

To Napolean I would take US6 across Indiana all the way to Napolean. It might cost you an hour time wise but its free and there is more to look at than on the Interstate.

Do the Ali Baba's still run that TA? that place used to be a real dump. It was a 76 truckstop then became a noname before the TA franchise. I have not been in there in years.