Monday 3 November 2008

On with the rest of my trip




After leaving Dryden it was an easy drive over to Winnipeg, stopped for fuel had a shower and something to eat then left, I still had a load of miles to do that day. I got as far as a place called Austin, Manitoba, when I noticed the warning light on my trailer had gone out so I pulled over. The fridge had cut out all together, after checking the warning codes it showed the alternator had packed up and was not charging the battery so I stopped in a garage but all they had there was a dim wit who could not understand English! After 5 minutes I gave up and drove on to the next petrol station. There I found a young guy who could understand English he let me use the jump leads I got the fridge started first go but when I took the leads off it cut out so I made a few calls to H&R. I just happened to pick the day when they changed over all the computers, they gave me a few numbers and asked me if I minded if I could ring them as they were so busy. I didn't get any joy and after spending $5 on calls there was still no answer. I thought if I could get a long bit of wire from my batteries it might work but I didn't want to do that off my own back (remember the ditch 2 days before lol) so I rang H&R again and this time I spoke to a guy there and he said why don't I put a wire from my batteries I told him I was thinking the same thing so he said it was ok (I got his name first just in case lol). So off I went to find a Wal-Mart at a place called Brandon which was about 45 miles away. When I got to Brandon I had even better luck next door to Wal-Mart was a Home Depot. I had to go and get some cash out first then I got the wire and some connectors to go on the batteries. It took me about 2 hours with all the calls but only 20 minutes once I had the wire I think I did a very good job. I started up my truck and wedged the peddle on about 1200 rpm while the truck was running I put away all of my tools back in my tool box and put the battery lid on and put back the deck (in the UK we call it cat walk). Now it was time to see if this had worked I turned the fridge on cleared the faults then held the wire with one hand and cutters in the other hand just in case! After about 15 secs it came up warning diesel engine about to start then bang the engine started, it made my day. It felt good because I used my time and effort to fix it and it worked. Before any of you send any comments like 'I wouldn't of done that I would of called them out to fix it' I was a long way from any place to get it fixed and it was a frozen load and I would of had to wait while it got fixed, this way once I got the ok to fix it myself it was done in no time. I have been in and around trucks all my life my dad was a truck driver he told me once there are 2 types of truck drivers the old generation (professional driver) and the new generation (chauffuer) the old generation would do what it takes to get the load there on time, even fix it if they could. In the old days everyone would help each other out. If a truck from Southampton was broke down you would see a couple of Southampton based drivers stopped to help out, not nowadays, you don't even get flashed when you over take anymore. I know I am not from the old generation but my dad taught me well, I had the skill and tools to fix it and it felt good when it started. When I came over here I brought myself a tool box with a few tools (just in case) so if I ever needed them at least I had tools to fix it and everyone knows the longer you're sat waiting for someone to come to you your not earning a cent. After my repair job I was on my way feeling really pleased with myself. I found a truck stop for the night and went and got cleaned up and something to eat. The next 2 days was a drive through Saskatchewan and Alberta then drop trailer in yard at Calgary. There was a guy waiting there to fix it he even said I had done a very good job I have still got the wire because you never know when it might come in handy. Then it was off to the Huskey truck stop which is where I am now I have to have a rest set and do my washing and have a couple of days for me before its back to work. And yes George before you ask its free internet from the hotel behind lol. Will put up some pics of my repair job.

2 comments:

Dee said...

I see you put you're tools away back in the box and put the lid on and was all organized etc so let me ask you this...Why can't you be that bloody tidy and organised at home? Can't wait to come over too babe xx

didster7 said...

i would have done exactly the same, you are right about drivers and chaufers, and being paid by the mile time is money. there`s not many of us drivers left, keep up the good work.

dave.