Sunday 23 November 2008

A Truckers Buddy I Am Not!!

Hi all I thought I'd leave a post on here until Mike gets time to put summat on here. As you all know I arrived here on Weds and seeing Mike was pretty amazing after 3 months. There he was waiting 4 me at the airport and the first person I see as I come out of arrivals, it was most definitely worth the 9 hr flight even tho I'm petrified of flying! I got a result on the flight, booked economy & got a free premium plus seat (summat like that). Anyway, Calgary was cold when we got out of the airport but when we actually got 2 a truck stop that night I felt like the whole of my head had been stuck in a freezer 4 a week, christ it was cold.
The Rockies have been the most amazing sight I've ever seen, every turn has been breathtakingly stunning but whilst mindblowingly beautiful the roads also scared the shit out of me coz you see I don't do mountains, we just don't agree with each other! Beautiful to look at but should never be driven up! Whenever we've been away Mike always finds a bloody mountain he just has to drive up and it always results in me screamin 'get me off this f*****g mountain'!! I spent a lot of time just looking at the floor being too scared to look out of the window. Being a typical brit I've only got to see a snow flake and I'm lookin out for the snowploughs! This is why
we have to pick an area over here with little snow and we've actually found somewhere, Kelowna. All going well proper research can now start.
I'm the realist in our marriage and I'm often bringing Mike down a peg or five! So I've not come over here looking through rose coloured glasses as some would. So here's what I've found out it just a few days of being here. No louts on street corners, that's coz you aint gonna be drivin on the estates to find out so do your research on the area's you wanna live, on some estates there are problems with yobs. Vancouver so I've been told is beautiful, well look up and you wouldn't know you weren't in the UK, it's so wet & apparently they can have as much rainfall as a monsoon, no thank you very much, too much like home! Be careful of the food, my god, I couldn't believe how expensive it is, a lot more than UK but on the other hand people have said that they don't find it that expensive so maybe it depends on what you're buying.
You're also not gonna come over here and take it easy, Mike works bloody hard and long hours (I'm actually not impressed at all the pressure) tho he has said it's not usually this bad when he's driving in America. Emotionally it's the hardest thing he's ever done, either of us has ever done. But hey I'm not all doom and gloom even the not so good stuff hasn't put me off.
My admiration to those couples who are doing this and traveling in the truck together.....my god ladies you deserve a medal or lockin up one of the two!! It's only been a couple of days and already we know we couldn't live in such a confined space 24/7, I actually would kill him if he hadn't killed me already!! Soooooo.......If your about to come over & live with your hubby in the truck then think hard and do this following exercise before you come........
Sleep in garden shed with a sleeping bag or quilt (yr choice), make garden shed airtight and place heater by your feet, this is important. Bring washing machine out of kitchen and place directly touching the actual shed, plug in and put on constant spin speed. Put heater on hot and leave. Now, go to sleep! Can't sleep? Ok well swing your legs out of covers and leave feet by heater until you burn skin, all this time you cannot wake up hubby coz he's got a long day ahead, still can't sleep? Ok, now do this every night for 2 weeks until you're hallucinating enough to mutter these words and actually beleive what you're saying is true, 'this is fantastic darling I wouldn't go home for anything'. Welcome to sleeping in a truck with a friggen fridge. OMG what a bloody nightmare, we're in a hotel tonight, nice and warm so you can breath and no fridge, heaven!
Another exercise for you ladies.........get hubby to dig a hole in the garden shed, a deep hole til you can't see the bottom then place a ceramic toilet bowl over hole and proceed to take a pee. Not nice? No it aint but thats what you'll get when your breaking your neck to go to the loo in the rockies. Thinking about it it's obvious that they aint gonna have a row of six toilets an attendant keeping everything clean and never ending rolls of toilet tissue but when I went in I was pretty shocked and hoped that what I saw was in fact me hallucinating through the lack of sleep! No, there it was, I peered down the hole and felt dizzy, the previous women who used that loo need putting to sleep coz they are no good to society the filthy mingers, I'm grinning whilst typing this coz I actually feel like I wanna gag, nuff said!
Today we went to the Edmonton Mall, ladies you just gotta go. Leave the old man in the truck but take his card, it's amazing. It's enormous, we spent so much time just stopping between shops and watching the ice skating, spent all day there, took in the sea lion show and the aquarium, took stacks of photos and going back tomorrow to do the top level!
Another thing I've noticed that no matter where we've been we have seen so many places that are needing staff which is encouraging, unemployment seems to be low. No doubt in my mind a better place for our kids and grandchildren, far more opportunity for them.
Anyone who knows me knows about my unhealthy addiction to coffee and I hate visiting places who cant accommodate this, well thumbs up for Canada on that score, I can't get enough of it its beautiful and just about to have another so bye for now, stay safe x

2 comments:

Mick Flynn Images said...

Hello Dee
thanks for your post, you have made me laugh, but I also think, my god Is that what its gonna be like? I will be in the truck 24/7 with Mick. Thanks for putting the womens point of view across.
Glad it has not put you off.
Have a safe trip home.

Tony T said...

Nice story, hope u have a good trip and enjoy coz you'll Miss it when you return.
Like the slide show, good pics.
All the best Tony T