Wednesday 12 November 2008

3rd part of my trip

After crossing the Border I was following a couple of trucks and I was listening to them on the CB. They started to talk about food and the guy in front said he knew where there was a good place to eat as I didn't know where is was they said to follow them. It was in a shell fuel station, they asked me to join them. I did and had a good laugh. We spent a couple of hours in there telling stories of things you have got up to over the years. When we left one of the guys knew the place where I was going so he told me which junction to turn off when we got there. 2 nice guys shame there's not many of them about. I got to my place to do my deliver and there was a big sign saying no one will be tipped before their booking time but he liked my English charm and wit and told me to back on the bay I was tipped in an hour!
The next day I was loading out of Mississauga for Calgary I got there a few hours before my time but again because of my English charm they loaded me after the guy came back from his break. I had half tanks of fuel and I looked at my streets & trips and saw I had enough fuel to get me to North Bay so off on my merry way to North Bay and fueled up which means I do not have to fill up at Hearst. There was loads of snow but not one bit on the road these guys over here know how to clear roads. I stopped at Nipigon to fuel up then I stopped in this cafe it was called Tower Hill truck stop at Ignace Ontario wow what a great place it was like an old English truck stop the food was great the staff were friendly and you had free internet. Whenever I am crossing Ontario again I will use this place all the time. I have got so fed up with the same rubbish you get in the Huskey truck stops I am finding it much better to stop at these smaller truck stops than the big chain ones.
I stopped in Winnipeg to fuel up and shower then off again for another 5 hours. Not far from the Manatoba and Saskatchewan border I saw a sad sight, there was a big rig on its side in the ditch. In the middle of both east and west lanes the first thing people say is 'bloody truck drivers' but no-one knows why, it could of been an animal or prat car drivers fault whoevers fault it was I feel sorry for the truck drivers family.
I am parked in a Esso fuel station in a place called Grenfell Saskatchewan. I turned my computer on but no internet so I plugged my wifi booster in and yep internet, it seems this thing works after all! I have another long day tomorrow so I am off to bed now but before I go I rang in to see if I could take a cabinet out of my truck the answer was yes. I was told the guys at H&R seem to be pleased with my work rate. I have done 10,000 miles in 20 days so for all the knockers out there who say there isn't any work at H&R how come I can get the miles! I have done everything by the book I have worked my max hours and had the right rest days I just get on and do what I am asked to do. Like I have told so many people, I only work one way thats my way! I do everything legal (well nearly lol) whats an extra 10 ks an hour! In Ontario the cops leave you alone as long as you drive safe and drive to the road conditions (and not park on the shoulder.... got that one in before you did Lyndon lol). The work is here if you want it but don't think you will get good work all the time, you have to take the rough with the smooth. Well its less than a week before I see my wife its been 12 weeks now since I last had a kiss and cuddle and I can't wait. I am hoping my buddy steve w has sorted me out a trip to Vancouver then up to Edmonton for a couple of days off so I can show my wife (all the pain we have both been through not being together is worth it). The reason why I am working 4,500 miles away from home and hopefully she will get to see a fraction of what I have been looking at for the last 12 weeks. Its been very hard for me working here on my own, me and my wife are very very close and the longest we have been apart was 3 weeks and that was bad enough! I ring my wife everyday, she'd like me home but I know deep down she will love it over here and once she sees it she will feel the same as me. Well its time for bed another 4am start tomorrow and only got 546.4 miles to do lol.

4 comments:

Lyndon said...

Hi Mike
i am so glad you are making it all work for ya !!

You are now living the dream !!

keep it going buddy.

lyndon

didster7 said...

Hi Mike
glad you are enjoying it,the wifi booster is working well then, if you dont mind you are going have to let on what it is,
also what is streets and trips, is it a map or satnav,

cheers dave.

didster7 said...

just read your comments on streets and trips .
cheers dave

englishmike said...

Hi Dave
Streets & Trips is a program you load on to your computer and it works just like a sat nav but you would have to have it on your dash if you didn't want to buy a sat nav. If you wait until you get to Lethbridge you can buy it from a store called London Drug which is not far from the Sandman hotel.