Thursday 6 November 2008

2 days off

Wow didn't I need them days off I just sat in my truck but it was nice to unwind. My next job was to a place called Butler in Wisconsin. I picked up a trailer from the Calgary yard and had to call into Lethbridge on the way to the border to pick up my ace. I lost a lot of time doing that and waiting at the border then it was off to meat inspection got another skip lol. I looked at the route they planned and there was a big hole when it came to Montana so I chose the quickest route not the shortest (only by 16 miles)but by god wasn't it a lot faster and a much better route than the last time they sent me this way. I can never understand the logic in sending a semi and trailer along route 2, all the starting and stopping you do burns up more fuel than if you were going at a steady pace. The route I went on cut out about an hour of stopping at lights and prat car drivers and no small towns to go through. Anyway I went down to Great Falls Montana then across the 87 until it went to the 200 then I stopped the night at a place called Jordon I never had anything to eat all day and I was hungry. As I was getting close to Jordon I did wonder what sort of place it was and if there was anywhere to get anything to eat. As you come into Jordon there is a tight left bend so you have to really slow down and just on that bend was a transport cafe. Wow what luck, the grub was really good and cheap and you could park there the night. In the morning I had to get fuel so off to Beech North Dakota to fuel up. On the way I went round a bend and found a big group of baby deer and 2 adult deer (what's a group of deer? Unsure but I think it's a flock). They were standing by the road, the truck scared the babies but not the adult ones. When I looked back at them they just stood there, it seemed like the adult deer was showing the babies how to cross the road lol. It made my day they looked beautiful, I know Dee would of loved to have seen that. I got up to the I 94 and then everything was covered in snow. It was really slow so I took it easy up to Beech. I went onto the pumps filled up then parked up like I normally do after about 3-4 hours driving in the morning for breakfast. I was told the I 94 had been shut because of the weather so I went and did my washing. When I got back to my truck a couple of drivers started to pull out so I called them on the CB they said the I 94 wasn't shut but it will be soon so I went with them. It was hard going. There were some really slow trucks, as we went past one of them he was being blown side ways. I called him on the CB and said he should stop, he couldn't go on like that he was empty and the wind was very strong but he said he was fine. About 5 minutes later it came over the CB that a truck we had just passed was blown into the ditch. The winds were so strong today I spent the next 7 hours fighting with it. It wanted the truck to go one way I wanted it to go another (and before you UK drivers ask, no I didn't stop for my 45 mins after 4.5 hours driving lol). A full 7 hours driving my bum was numb. Because of the snow & ice and wind I only managed to do 560 miles today which means I have another very long day tomorrow. So because of the hold ups with my Ace the border crossing, meat inspection and very bad weather I have only been able to do 1108 miles in 2 days, never mind there is always tomorrow! I am parked at a place called Fergus Falls Minnesota, I found a KFC that does a buffet all you can eat for $6.99 and get this they have a parking area behind for trucks and RV's and even better there are loads of hotels about so I got free Internet again! Whenever I am down this way I will plan this stop in my route. Its 8.30pm now and its time for bed I have another 4am start tomorrow and before anyone says anything it's my choice to start this early. I have to stop for fuel tomorrow at a place called Rogers Minnesota which is about 150 miles from here. I will have breakfast while I am there then I will have 350 miles to do which should get me there for about 1pm.

4 comments:

wolf said...

Mike how are you, think I have this computer prob sorted out,I could not get any comments away to you(well I do'nt think any went)the prob is this computer does'nt run on diesel nor does it have a dip stick(eh ok). november 19th is not to far of now,I know that feeling it's the best.Well as you are doing I will be leaving the family in UK for the time being 3-6 month's but the wife(Clare) will be over in Feb to pick the house she want's in Taber as she will not let me pick one(wonder why)I am on the air brake course on December 5th(again) did one years ago,then the driving assessment(again)but it's a good crack.I would like your help on something if poss, what sat nav did you get and what's it like ie is it the truck one. Sorry short and sweet Mike got a trailer to load in 5 min

Later

Wolf

englishmike said...

Hi Wolf
My sat nav is a garmmin nuvi 670 the 4.5" wide screen I payed £420 for it because it has all the maps of Europe America Canada and Mexico so far i have been with 2 drivers who have tom toms pne of the tom toms wanted you to go all around the houses but mine took us to the door then the next driver i was with couldn't find the yard at Montreal and he tried so many times I just told him to follow me lol. I have had 2 garmin sat navs and they have both been good the reason I got this one was because it has all the maps of North America and Europe but another good program you need if you have a laptop is streets and trips my mate Eddie brought it and let me load it on my computer it is very good you get with it something to plug in(don't know what its called) and it works just like a sat nav.

Anonymous said...

so, you guys with h and r are even told where and when to stop for fuel? I drive for JBM Logistics and they let us pretty much plan our own routes and our own fuel stops.

Mick Flynn Images said...

Hi Mike
Hope everything is going well, not long to wait until Dee is over.
Bye For Now