Friday 12 December 2008

Phoenix part 2


I left Shelby early and had a good run with no hold ups. In my 11 hours of driving I got to the other side of Salt Lake City. Just on the half way mark my average speed for the 11 hours was 59.6 miles an hour I covered 654.29 miles I just made it to this petrol station in the nick of time. I have added a pic I took from my sat nav, what can't speak can't lie! I reset my sat nav every day and when you reset it every counter resets at the same time so you can't fiddle it.
I left Salt Lake City at 4.30am because I wanted to get a good run in before all the dipstick drivers got out of bed. The road started to get a bit winding so could not keep to 65 had to slow down to 64 lol but the views were out of this world. I've spent loads of money going to the Grand Canyon and didn't see half the views I saw this time and I was getting paid for it lol. Of all the trips I have done so far with H&R this trip was by far the best, every bend was another great view I did stop a couple of times to take some pics I also brought some gifts from the Indian people.
I got down to Phoenix on the Monday night I was told to come back in the morning I asked to use the toilet (restroom) the guard pointed in the direction of this blue plastic hut with no light and was told to help myself, I said you must be joking and he said no that's where the drivers go (not this driver). So off I drove up to the Flying J but as normal with the J it gets full very quick so I had to pay $10 to park no shower for your $10 I was pissed off at this point! The conditions for truck drivers in Canada and America are shocking if you haven't got a free shower with your fuel you have to pay $8 which I think is so wrong. In the UK you have to pay for parking (which the company pays for) but you get a free shower. The best company I drove for in the UK was DHL they had at least 5 showers and toilets at every depot all for free and if you wasn't parked at a depot the motorway services had free showers. I went back to my drop off point in the morning and they tipped me in about 30 minutes so I drove back to the J and had a shower. Then was told to go to a place called Yuma in Arizona to pick up 3 collections. After some mucking about by the twats in Yuma I got my 3 collections for Edmonton Canada I was out of time so I stayed there the night and left the next morning.
On the way up to Las Vegas I passed the old London bridge which was brought by a rich dopey yank who thought he was buying tower bridge lololol I took a pic but you can only see a tiny bit of it but the place looked nice.
On the I40 there was a border check point when I stopped I said good morning and the guard said 'you're not from around here are you, are you Irish?' I replied 'just because I'm sat this side of the truck don't mean I'm from Ireland' we had a laugh then he sent me on my way. after that it was just a normal drive up to Las Vegas it was a bit busy there but nothing to worry about, dopey me only went to the wrong fuel place! I rang up and asked if I could fuel there and was told it would be 25 mins before she could sort it for me so I said forget it I will get fuel from my next stop but as I got back on the I15 the fuel place I should of gone to was the next junction so I didn't muck up too much lol. Once I fueled up I went up just past Ceder City Utah I was looking for a truck stop that I could do my washing in but the only one with a washing machine didn't have a free shower so I played dumb with the lady behind the counter and asked her if there was a shower left on my card (knowing full well there wasn't) she said no but she loved my accent so much she gave me a free shower (so Phil, English charm does pay off lol). I've done 10.5 hours driving today and I'm parked at a place called Butte Montana so up early in the morning & up to Lethbridge asap drop trailer have a quick reset then they have given me a job to Tracy California, back down in the nice hot sun lol.
From the warnings I have been given and what I've heard from the radio the weather is bad in Canada If my trailer is ready when I get there I have enough time to turn around and get down as far as Reno for a reset, at least I won't get snowed in there lol.

4 comments:

didster7 said...

i was led to believe the truck stops were a lot better,
do you have to confirm with H&R where to fuel up ?

Dave Caldwell said...

I have found the truck stops in US to be 100 times better than those grotty holes in the UK. At least when you do get a shower it has been cleaned before you. Shame the same can't be said for Canada.

englishmike said...

Hi Dave yes I do agree with you but it would be better if you got a free shower with every meal or your free showers you got stayed on your card and you never lost them I love using the flying j nice salad with you all you can eat meals lol and again I do agree Canada is very poor for conditions for drivers but the one good thing about the UK when you got to your deliver point you could use a toilet and not go in a plastic shed that you see on building sites. how are you anyway still like your new job mike

englishmike said...

Hi didster the truck stops are very good over here when you can get in them. as for fueling up we have a small computer in the trucks and it tells us where we fuel up but if you miss a site and low on fuel you can just go to the next petrol station then ring H&R they will open the site for you